It has been over a year since I last posted on here and so much has happened in my life since then. The two major events worth noting would be:
- I’ve completed my IGCSE’s and they went ok! Focusing on exams was a contributing factor to why I took a break from here.
- I’m now doing my pre-u studies in the city of Kuala Lumpur. How cool!
I may do a stand-alone post sometime soon to further outline what’s been up and what will be up ahead for me (tho i have a feeling most ppl readin this r people who know me personally & know what iz up..).
So, in the meantime, enjoy this 2nd attempt, a year and 3 months late, of a monthly instalment rounding up what I’ve been listening, reading, and watching in a month!
- I don’t know why but in the past month, I just couldn’t stop listening to ‘Giant Woman‘ which is part of the Steven Universe soundtrack. I just find its ‘bubbly-nes’ so uplifting and motivating. If you watch the video, the message is about Pearl and Amethyst overcoming their differences and each of them becoming a bigger person than their dispute.
- Next up are four of my favourite songs from the miniseries, ‘Over the Garden Wall’. Definitely recommend watching the series as the art style and atmosphere of the show vibes well with (post?)Halloween and autumn.
- Finally, a tune I constantly find myself singing in the shower or when I’m alone in the elevator is ‘Please Never Fall in Love Again‘ by Ollie MN.
- ‘Red Scarf Girl‘ by Ji Li Jiang is a children’s book, but still is undoubtedly a riveting and raw memoir of the unfathomable hardships that were faced by the people during the Cultural Revolution in China. It is written through the perspective of a 12-year-old girl who had to put her childhood and ambitions on hold given the adversities ahead.
- Second is an interactive article that lets you peer into the harrowing reality that ‘Modern Slavery‘ exists.
- Quillette is one of my favourite websites to read eloquent articles featuring fearless unconventional takes on conventional topics. One of said articles worthwhile reading strongly argues ‘Why It’s Time to End Factory Farming‘.
- If you know me, you’d know I love Anna Akana. She recently released another beautiful short that would be just what I needed to see and hear during all the times ‘When I’ve Wanted to Die’ .
- I love look-book videos. They’re short, aesthetically-pleasing, and fun to watch. The super funky ‘Fall Lookbook 2018‘ by the Line Up with super sleek transitions I bawled over is an exemplar model of all that.
- Recently came across a video that brought to light ‘The Problem with Fast Fashion‘, and ever since watching it, it has made me think twice and thrice over again before buying something.
I don’t know if you can tell but, there’s certainly a linking theme and message between the video ‘The Problem with Fast Fashion’, and the articles ‘Modern Slavery’ and ‘Why It’s Time to End Factory Farming’. They all bring to light the unthought-of, unspoken-of, and unglamorous reality of how our delicious food arrive on our plates and how our trendy clothes get into our wardrobes.
It’s such a fast-moving world today where retailers sit welcomingly and conveniently at every corner. They sell affordable goods wrapped in transparent plastic that has a not-so-transparent story on how it got to sit so pristinely on the shelf. We just grab and go on with our lives. We probably hold in our hands, wear on our feet, the product of the sweat and tears of the unfortunate that have no own lives. A lot of us are oblivious to the fact that as we enjoy, countless others are suffering.
There is no single solution or thing we can do to fix it all. Maybe that’s why most of us go on with our lives insouciantly, and even knowingly indulging in the products of said terrors. But, what I want to say is that there is a clock ticking and a toll rising, with the victims being the helpless and vulnerable. We’re all in comfortable positions, and are now aware of the impact of our decisions. So, a starting step I want to encourage you to take is to start considering slowly integrating the minimal changes we can make to our lifestyles to return the Earth some loving, amidst all the toxic. If you’re interested, I’ve compiled a short list of articles and videos below that may help get you started!
- 10 Least Ethical Clothing Companies
- Ethical Fashion Tool-Kit
- 30 Zero Waste Challenge
- Intro to Plastic Free Living (video)
Thanks for reading!